Communication tools are essential to the quality of our lives because we use them daily.
Today, they aren’t just for everyday people. They’re also necessary for you to improve the service you provide and develop better relationships.
With the proper tools, you’re able to reach your customers and provide them with what they need, while improving the experience they have with you.
When the right tools are used to communicate, building a stronger relationship with your clients becomes easier.
💬 What is a Communication Tool?
💬 How Communication Tools Can Improve Your Customer Experience
💬 What to Have in Place Before Investing in Communication Tools
💬 Ways to Use Your Communication Tools
💬 10 Tools That Will Improve Your Customer Communication
💬 Wrapping Up
What is a Communication Tool?
A communication tool enables you to share and receive information. It can be a website, a digital tool or app, any social media channel, a video, an email, text message or phone call.
From a business perspective, it allows for real time interaction with customers.
It’s how businesses stay connected with their clients and attract new ones. They also help businesses improve their products and services.
They can be used to send emails, newsletters, alerts, promotions, offers, surveys or feedback forms. You can also use them to send out reminders such as payment due dates, order status updates, delivery times and shipping information.
These tools are valuable because they also provide opportunities to improve the quality of the products and services you provide.
Examples of Communication Tools
Options available include:
- Social media platforms
- Email marketing
- Mobile apps
- Text messaging
- Phone calls
- Video conferences
- Live events
- Online forums or groups
- Client portals
These tools also provide many options and include a variety of features, such as calendar integration, email auto-responder, lead generation, notification, contact management, tracking, event management, survey creation, workflow automation, form builder, reporting and template support.
How Communication Tools Can Improve Your Customer Experience
Communication tools give you more options to connect with your customers and act as the bridge between you and them. They support you to correspond more effectively and efficiently.
Here’s how they can improve the experience your customers have:
- Offering a better experience.
- Delivering a superior service.
- Reducing sales cycle time.
- Improving conversion rates.
- Increasing brand awareness.
- Creating new revenue streams.
- Easily reaching clients.
- Saving money on advertising costs.
- Enabling businesses to respond in real time.
- Providing 24/7 access.
- Supporting businesses to automate processes.
- Increasing brand loyalty.
The right ones enable you to do business better. 82% of customers are willing to spend more money on companies that deliver a great online service.
Why Companies Do Not Give Enough Attention to Their Communication Tools
There are three main reasons companies do not pay enough attention to customer communication.
1. They underestimate its importance
Companies that don’t give this much attention often get into trouble when customers stop responding to them. 50% of consumers will switch to a competitor after having just one bad experience, and 80% will switch after multiple bad experiences.
Most companies invest a lot of time into marketing and advertising; however, they do not invest as much time into their after-sale efforts.
If ongoing communication is not a high priority, the long-term viability of a business will be affected.
2. They don’t know what they need
There are many options available today, which makes it harder for companies to choose the right ones based on the features they need.
Finding the right one is also time-consuming because it involves researching what’s available, understanding the features and benefits and choosing what’s suitable.
3. They don’t have a plan
If a business does not have a plan, they will waste money on features that either are not suitable or not needed.
Before investing time and money, know what your objective is, what features are needed in your business, other options you could consider and the support that’s currently available. That will make it easier to decide what to choose and how to implement it.
The tools used should always align with a strategy, which will also clarify how it will benefit your business and your clients, and support you to reach your objectives.
What to Have in Place Before Investing in Communication Tools
To meet your objectives and expectations, your business needs to have a strategy to choose the best software options that will support everyone who will be affected.
A customer communication strategy defines how to deliver a consistent message across channels. Ways to support that may include email, text messages, social media, phone calls, web pages and physical mail. These are some of the basic options available.
It’s important to have consistent messaging styles to support your brand image, otherwise customers may get confused and form a negative impression of your business.
One way to create an effective strategy is to focus on a few core values. These values support your business objectives and need to be included in all your interactions.
Examples of core values to incorporate into your strategy include:
- Relevance – you should address what’s important. Do not include anything that’s not relevant or that does not support what your customers want.
- Consistency – having a theme or using a template will make it easier to provide a consistent message, while staying true to your company brand and values.
- Personalization – people want to feel valued and appreciated, therefore a personalized message using their name will be more effective.
- Simplicity – use simple language that’s also easy to read. Avoid using long sentences or complex words if they aren’t necessary.
- Transparency – let customers know what’s going on, even if it’s not what they want to hear. Provide details they need to know and always be truthful.
Differences Between Good and Bad Communication Tools
Good communication tools enhance the customer experience, whereas bad ones make it difficult for them to receive the information they need at the right time.
The good options should:
- Work well together with other software options.
- Make it easier to provide updates.
- Offer options to ask questions or provide feedback.
- Add value.
The bad options usually:
- Make it harder to get the information they need.
- Cause confusion.
- Are unreliable.
- Don’t add value or support customers, especially if a business only sends promotional or marketing messages.
Ways to Use Your Communication Tools
These tools are great options for staying organized, tracking important information, sharing ideas and insights with vendors and supporting team members.
Ways to use them are:
- Email marketing software options to send messages to colleagues, customers, and suppliers.
- Social media software to post updates, promote products, and interact with current and potential clients.
- Instant messaging to connect with and support team members.
- Video conferencing to have virtual meetings.
- Online collaboration to collaborate with all your stakeholders.
- Automated chatbots to provide immediate feedback and guide prospects to the information they want.
- Content management systems (CMS) to manage websites and blogs.
- Task management software to organize projects and tasks.
- CRMs to record sales leads, opportunities and contacts.
- Project management software to document different options, and plan and track projects.
- Document management software to store documents and files.
- Data visualization to visualize data and trends, and provide options for future projects.
- Analytics to assess options to monitor performance and improve results.
- Automation to save time and increase efficiency.
- Wikis to collect and share information.
10 Tools That Will Improve Your Customer Communication
1. Nimbus Platform
Nimbus Platform offers a suite of products and software options that makes it easy to stay in touch with your clients and enhance your customer experience.
Features and options offered include:
- A flexible editor – create and edit your content as desired. Information you save in Nimbus Note can be moved, which means you’re able to use the drag-and-drop feature to arrange your information the way you want.
- Create super documents – add a variety of information to one page, including images, text, audio and video files, PDF documents, along with other attached files. You can embed each page on other webpages.
- Client portal – keep track of all your conversations in one place and manage customer conversations, documents and other relevant resources.
- Nimbus Capture – create annotated screenshots and videos. Its integration with Nimbus Note enables you to improve your visual communication between clients and team members.
- Nimbus Clipper – from any browser, save specific webpages, articles, emails and PDF files.
- Integrations – connect with other apps, such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Analytics, YouTube, Calendly, etc.
Nimbus Platform is a tool that continues to grow and expand the options they offer to improve your customer experience.
2. Microsoft Teams
With Microsoft Teams, you will improve your collaboration and teamwork. It has become the fastest growing app in Microsoft’s history.
Options Microsoft Teams offers include:
- Staying connected and accessing all the information you need to succeed anytime, anywhere.
- Collaboration, live chat, conducting virtual meetings, and sharing videos. You can provide one-to-one customer support, which will enable you to receive feedback faster and provide quicker responses. This also means fewer emails as you’re corresponding in real time.
- Using shared documents and files to create, share and exchange ideas, which means it can also be used as a knowledge base software.
- Becoming more focused and productive when you have all the apps and features you need right there.
- Using Teams on your phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop to work remotely. You can set up pre-defined “do not disturb” hours every day if you need quiet time to focus.
Salesforce is a trusted CRM platform that helps your marketing, sales, commerce, service and IT teams work together from anywhere, and keep your customers satisfied.
The customer management tools Salesforce offers include:
- An integrated platform to support a variety of connected apps, so you can focus on what’s important now and explore options to provide excellent customer experiences.
- Sell smarter and provide faster support in one app using features such as lead and account management, customizable dashboards, built-in messaging software and productivity tools.
- Improve your sales performance with forecasting, lead management and process automation.
- Build loyalty with intelligent workflows, productivity solutions and self-service client portals.
- Strengthen relationships by unifying data, offering personalized interactions and quicker response times.
Zendesk is a robust customer service platform that excels with its service desk feature and messaging software options.
With the options Zendesk offers, you can:
- Achieve better and more meaningful or personal customer relationships by focusing on being more proactive.
- Take advantage of solutions to monitor, prioritize and resolve customer support tickets.
- Use its cloud-based software to automate and save time, which means you will improve your customer experience and have more options to increase the productivity of your support staff.
- Centralize all your conversations in one place with this customer support tool, solve issues faster, gather the right feedback and create stronger relationships.
5. Mighty Networks
Mighty Networks is an online community software that allows you to create networks and offer subscription services and online courses.
The features Mighty Networks offers include:
- Creating networks under your brand and custom domain that will be available on all platforms, including web, iOS and Android devices.
- Offering a variety of content options, including posts, articles, polls, challenges, questions and other online experiences.
- Conducting live sessions with its Zoom integration, which makes it easier to offer content, either free or paid.
- Scaling your networks without headache or complexity with its built-in personalization technology, which means each member’s activity feed will be unique to them, showing content relevant to them.
- Ease for members to find and interact with each other with attractive member social profiles, private direct messaging and small group chats.
Moosend is a powerful email marketing software you can use to create and deliver effective and attractive messaging.
Email marketing will always be an important part of any company’s communication strategy.
Features Moosend offers include:
- Drag & drop editor, which will make it easy to create professional emails or newsletters that look good on any device. With hundreds of templates available, you can spice up your email marketing.
- Automated workflows for highly effective marketing campaigns. Features such as reminders, user onboarding, abandoned cart and scheduled campaigns will ensure you never miss opportunities to have better interactions with your customers.
- High personalization with subscriber custom fields so you can show information relevant to each recipient. This also allows you to suggest products based on your customer’s purchase history and also recommending similar products.
- Track customer behavior with in-depth analytics, so you can adjust your marketing campaigns to bring in more sales.
- Create beautiful lead generation pages or subscription forms with advanced design features to gather prospect data and build your customer base.
7. Google Meet
Google Meet is a virtual meeting software or platform that has a free and paid option that is available to everyone.
Features Google Meet offers include:
- With the free version, you can conduct virtual meetings with 100 participants and have a time limit of 60 minutes.
- As it is integrated with other Google services, you can use Google Meet straight away if you have an existing Google account.
- Better productivity tools that enhance interactivity, such as file and image sharing, live chat and polling features for real-time feedback and decision-making.
- Screen-sharing feature which allows you to show a document, presentation, spreadsheet or browser tab to your attendees.
- With the paid version, you can have more attendees and conduct longer virtual meetings.
Document360 is a knowledge base software. You can use it to create an online self-service knowledge base for your customers and team members, which can be accessed either publicly or privately.
The features Document360 offers include:
- A knowledge base portal for editors and reviewers to share content and analyze its impact and effectiveness.
- A knowledge base site for customers and employees to consume content such as: Product Help Docs, Technical Documentation, Online User Guides, Frequently Asked Questions, Internal Knowledge Base, Standard Operating Procedures.
- Integration with your existing help or service desk to take advantage of analytics, live chat and commenting options.
- Option to migrate your existing knowledge base using automated tools and manual processes.
- Ability to scale your customer support without increasing your costs by helping your customers learn how to use your products and solve problems with a knowledge base.
LiveAgent is a live chat software that enables you to provide better customer support.
It is an all-in-one help desk software that makes it easy for you to connect with your customer across multiple channels.
The features LifeAgent offers include:
- Chat widget that allows you to increase visitor engagement and provide personalized real-time, one-on-one customer support based on the time they’ve spent on your website and the pages they’ve visited.
- Built-in CRM to track all your conversations and route chats to the relevant agents. You can also use it to get feedback and suggestions from your customers.
- Call center where you can offer video calls with their cloud-based call center software. This is suitable for inbound and outbound calling.
- Ticketing system that will save you time by managing all your messages in one app. You can integrate with many of your favorite apps, automate repetitive tasks and make informed business decisions based on real data.
- Gamification in customer service, which means you can promote healthy competition between teams. This supports better morale and also increases motivation for support agents to keep performing at a high level.
WhatsApp offers messaging software options so you can create a catalog to showcase your products and services.
Some features of the WhatsApp messaging software offer include:
- Easily connecting with customers using apps to automate, sort and quickly respond to messages.
- Providing faster customer support and delivering important notifications.
- Group chat to share messages, photos and videos with up to 256 people at once. Also send voice messages if you want to say a quick hello or tell a longer story.
- Voice and video calls using your phone’s internet connection, which means you can make free calls, unless you don’t have internet access, in which case, you would use your phone data plan.
- High security and privacy, with end-to-end encryption. This means all your messages and calls are secure and only those you’re interacting with can read or listen to them.
These are options you can consider when deciding which customer communication tools you want to use in your business. Picking one can be tricky. It is worth trying out each app to see how it meets the daily needs of your business. Let’s start with Nimbus Platform!
Communicate with your team as you like via chats or comments. For cooperation with customers, you can build a Nimbus Client Portal. Nimbus Platform also allows you to create video explanations & screen recordings, super-documents with all project files and your company’s knowledge management system.
How can a knowledge management system support your customer communication efforts? In our recent blog post, find out what knowledge management systems are and how you will benefit from having one.
Learn how Nimbus can help you build a perfect knowledge base here.
Have you considered using a client portal? In this blog post, find out why a client portal is essential to your business success.
Parties other than Nimbus Platform™ may provide products, services, recommendations, or views on the Nimbus Platform™ site (“Third Party Materials”). Nimbus Platform™ is not responsible for examining or evaluating such Third Party Materials, and does not provide any warranties relating to the Third Party Materials. Links to such Third Party Materials are for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement of such Third Party Materials.